/**/

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What I've Learned About Latency

Something that makes podcasting more attractive to me than streaming is the fact that interruptions and low user bandwidth are not necessarily a roadblock to receiving high-quality audio or video content.

However, when part of the system that you're using enforces a maximum amount of latency, then things may stop working.

This is what I've been experiencing with the podcasting setup for St. Therese of Carmel podcasts. The time between initial request for one of our audio files and the beginning of the download was on the order of many seconds. The decision to have a download script that loaded the entire mp3 file did not seem like a bad idea at the time, but now knowing that there are latency requirements at feedburner, changes need to be made!

So, it turns out that you learn something new every day, whether you want to or not :)

I hope to have everything working by the end of the day today, 10 August 2005.

If you read this, please leave a comment or drop me a line. I really would like to meet the people that are interested in this podcast. I want to provide content that you like or are interested in. Having some feedback would be wonderful in this regard.

If you have any technical difficulties with using the podcast feed or links, please let me know. It's not always immediately obvious that a failure is occurring.

Yours,
-Michelle at St. Therese

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home